Munitionsfahrzeug 38 (t) Ausf.M

Scale: 1/72

Model kit used: Attack
Accessories used: Attack – guide teeth of the tracks

I decided to add a model of Munitionsfahrzeug 38(t) Ausf. M into my collection of “thirty eights” because versions with engines in the middle have been neglected by producers and they have been missing on the market for sure. I do appreciate a small PE fret with tiny parts, which will enliven the model very much. I started according to the instructions by the assembly of an armour tub and a chassis. Then I came to a cover (part number 5), that is supposed to be sort of broken in a bend and cemented to the tub of the chassis. I scraped the bend with a model knife lightly for better bending but there was no problem here. I adapted a welded projection of a driver by indication of welded seams but mainly, I moved it by one millimetre to the right, to the edge of an armoured tub. I also indicated new rivets on the side of the projection. I recommend gluing the mudguards only after the superstructure is glued on the chassis. The superstructure is moulded clean and it contains details of a construction and rivets. I scraped the parts by a model knife to reduce their thickness. You must work carefully and give a repeated dry fit test to every part before you start to cement. I opened a rear door of a fighting compartment. The interior is well equipped with everything needed. Details have a fair level of representation; unfortunately, there are sink marks on some places. I filled them with a putty and I made new hinges to the boxes and re-scraped them. I added my own radio stations with cables, gas masks and a fire extinguisher. I made covers of the radio stations from a thin plastic and made an antenna. I also made a new frame for an ammunition box. I added the seats of the crew, made the racks for ammo on an open rear door from a sheet metal and the interior was ready. A new cover sheet of a hole in a superstructure was made from an aluminium foil. I made new handle, frame and tarpaulin supports from a wire. I cut an insulating sleeving from a wire with a razor blade to make small circles and glued them on the superstructure to represent the eyes for masking net and tarpaulin attachment. I made a new exhaust from a wire and I used a PE perforated cover of an exhaust silencer (muffler). The PE fret includes also a perforated box, which is to be placed on a left mudguard. Unfortunately, the box is higher than it should be. However, I used it as I would hardly made a better one by myself. I glued my own Notek light and spare track links to which I glued parts of the guiding teeth from the Attack PE fret. I hung a tent pack on the vehicle, a jerry can and helmets from my spare parts box. I choosed a camouflage from the instructions – it comes from the 2. Ski Jäger Division, winter 1944. I made a basic spray with Agama sand N 21 and once dry, I made a cover by Humbrol matt white. I tried to place all pieces of ammunition to the circles marked on the model but I failed to do so. The pieces of ammo did not fit and the circles showed to be obstacles. Anyway, I crammed maximum of ammo to the inside of the vehicle and it is a great improvement of the interior. Decals are of a high quality and there was no problem in placing them on the model. The winter camouflage, made by a washable white paint suffered due to the weather and it ran down quickly. I tried to reproduce this effect on the model, too. I let the thin oil paint in scratches and around the rivets. A thicker paint was used to indicate streaking rust and dirt. I used pre-varnished wooden boards, which I covered with a mixture of a plaster and white glue Herkules (a Czech brand) and sprinkled it with a plastic foam grass. I pushed a model into a wet plaster to make the traces in a terrain. The surface of a terrain was sprayed with a white paint and soaked with a dirty thinner with an oil paint, which represents a winter landscape. I glued a model to its own traces and sprayed the whole diorama with a matt varnish Agama.